Runway: 15/33 - 1850m x 50m - PSP
San Giovanni airfield was a semi-permanent heavy bomber airfield located approximately 9km (5mi) west-southwest of Cerignola in Apulia, Italy.
Its double PSP runway with extensive taxiway and hardstand parking areas and steel control tower were built by the US Army Corps Of Enigineers in late 1943, as part of the Foggia Airfield Complex, a series of World War II military airfields located within a 25 mile (40 km) radius of Foggia. The air field opened in January 1944.
The only known units to operate from the very large and expansive field are the 454th and 455th Bombardment Group, flying a total of six squadrons of B-24 Liberators, from January 1944 until September 1945. The airfield remained operational until the end of the war and the airfield closed in October 1945.
San Giovanni from the air in 1945
The airfield was dismantled after the war and today it is an agricultural area. In 2009 some ruins of the former airfield were photograhed as the only evidence left. One of them was a rusty and almost collapsing steel plated shed.
San Giovanni was still visible from the air in 1953 (photo via Pinuccio d'Angelo).
Parts of the airfield were still visible from the air in 2002 (Google Earth)
Slowly rotting away, this shed is almost all that remains of the former airfield.